<MP>Sunday, 09 August 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 19:41:43 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein) (1891-1942)
A brilliant philosopher who stopped believing in God when she was 14, Edith
Stein was so captivated by reading the autobiography of Teresa of Avila
(October 15) that she began a spiritual journey that led to her Baptism in
1922. Twelve years later she imitated Teresa by becoming a Carmelite, taking
the name Teresa Benedicta of the Cross. Born into a prominent Jewish family
in Breslau (now Wroclaw, Poland), Edith abandoned Judaism in her teens. As a
student at the University of Göttingen, she became fascinated by
phenomenology, an approach to philosophy. Excelling as a protégé of Edmund
Husserl, one of the leading phenomenologists, Edith earned a doctorate in
philosophy in 1916. She continued as a university teacher until 1922 when
she moved to a Dominican school in Speyer; her appointment as lecturer at
the Educational Institute of Munich ended under pressure from the Nazis.
For more, follow the link below:

?Get up and eat, else the journey will be too long for you!? He got up, ate,
and drank; then strengthened by that food,
he walked forty days and forty nights to the mountain of God, Horeb. ~1
Kings 19:4-8

And be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has
forgiven you in Christ. ~Ephesians 4:20-5:2

I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they
died; this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it
and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats
this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for
the life of the world.? ~John 6:41-51

We can't allow ourselves to sink into great depression and lose interested
in life and living.  We can trust the Lord will be with us, as we hear in
our Psalm, "Taste and see the goodness of the Lord."  As we are fed by God
we can regain our strength and serenity and do his work, being "kind to one
anther, compassionate, and forgiving ... "

I pray that I may rely on the Lord's nourishment to keep me going.  I pray
that I may trust in God's promise of eternal life as I act with kindness,
compassion and forgiveness.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Charlene asks prayers for several intentions. Mother asks prayers for
daughter who has Fibromyalgia and Acute Fatigue Syndrome also for husband
who has a hard time coping with her illness, a prayer to save their
marriage. Grandmother asks prayers for baby granddaughter that her
neurological problems are not from a brain tumor as two doctors suspect.

Alvina asks prayers for a special intention. Judi asks prayers for a special
intention. Nancy from PA asks prayers for her son and daughter-in-law's
friends who are pregnant with their second child (their first was stillborn)
that they may have a safe and normal delivery and their child will be normal
and healthy. Kim asks prayers for a special intention.

Barb asks for prayers for her husband who is having surgery today -  spinal
fusion. A member requests prayers for a young mother with stage 4 breast
cancer, that she may receive a miracle and be healed. Mary asks prayers for
someone who feels abandoned by God, to find hope and the presence of God in
her life.

Gen asks prayers for her husband, that he may get quick relief from his
serious back pain. A member requests prayers for those who are incarcerated
to find serenity and fullness by following Jesus' footsteps. Cherie requests
prayers for her Family Company that they can get paid by there vendors.

A member requests prayers for her mom with cancer. Pat asks for prayers for
her brother who has been diagnosed with Leukemia..and is beginning the
fight. Please pray for a parishioner who is starting high school in a few
weeks and is now being treated for brain cancer.