<MP>Sunday, 08 November 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:04:22 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to look
forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize every
day in 2010 ... from $30 to $500 each day.  Prizes total $16,580.  No more
than 3000 calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out, just
follow the banner link from:  www.frpat.com

Blessed John Duns Scotus (c. 1266-1308)
A humble man, John Duns Scotus has been one of the most influential
Franciscans through the centuries. Born at Duns in the county of Berwick,
Scotland, John was descended from a wealthy farming family. In later years
he was identified as John Duns Scotus to indicate the land of his birth;
Scotia is the Latin name for Scotland. John received the habit of the Friars
Minor at Dumfries, where his uncle Elias Duns was superior. After novitiate
John studied at Oxford and Paris and was ordained in 1291. More studies in
Paris followed until 1297, when he returned to lecture at Oxford and
Cambridge. Four years later he returned to Paris to teach and complete the
requirements for the doctorate.  For more, follow the link below:

For the LORD, the God of Israel, says, 'The jar of flour shall not go empty,
nor the jug of oil run dry, until the day when the LORD sends rain upon the
earth.'"  ~1 Kings 17:10-16

"Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other
contributors to the treasury.  For they have all contributed from their
surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her
whole livelihood." ~Matthew 12:38-44

God calls us to be generous. It's tempting for us to give only when we are
very certain that we'll have enough and even a great surplus for ourselves.
Jesus gave all.  The widows in today's Scriptures gave all as well. We are
promised bounty when we give all we have. God calls us to be generous.

I pray that I may be generous.  I pray that I may reach out to help others
without unduly considering what I might need for myself.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Ruth asks prayers for her sister-in-law who has a fast growing cancer and
will start on kemo on Wednesday. Neil requests prayers for his best friend,
that the doctors will correctly diagnose the nature of his problems and will
be able to treat him in such a way as to return him to full and vigorous
health. Maria requests prayers for employment.

Karen asks for prayers for her husband who, after five months, is continuing
to experience difficulties due to a ruptured appendix. Mark asks prayers for
continued guidance in discerning God's will for his life and to be a good
father to his children. Marian asks prayers for her brother who just found
out he has throat cancer, that the tests he will undergo Monday will show
the cancer has not spread.

Deb requests prayers for her single-parent daughter who needs to secure
employment. George asks prayers for a friend who is in failing health, that
this may be reversed. Janice asks prayers for her daughter that her
operation in two weeks time will be successful. Mom requests prayers for
daughter who was laid off that God will find her just the right job, and
pray that she will not get depressed.