<MP>Sunday, 08 March 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 08:21:02 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. John of God (1495-1550)
Having given up active Christian belief while a soldier, John was 40 before
the depth of his sinfulness began to dawn on him. He decided to give the
rest of his life to God's service, and headed at once for Africa, where he
hoped to free captive Christians and, possibly, be martyred.
He was soon advised that his desire for martyrdom was not spiritually well
based, and returned to Spain and the relatively prosaic activity of a
religious goods store. Yet he was still not settled. Moved initially by a
sermon of Blessed John of Avila, he one day engaged in a public beating of
himself, begging mercy and wildly repenting for his past life.  For more,
follow the link below:

"Do not do the least thing to him. I know now how devoted you are to God,
since you did not withhold from me your own beloved son." ~Genesis 22:1-2,
9a, 10-13, 15-18

Jesus took Peter, James, and John and led them up a high mountain apart by
themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became
dazzling white, such as no fuller on earth could bleach them. ~Mark 9:2-10

Jesus' Transfiguration helped prepare his disciples for what was to come,
His suffering and death.  They knew for sure that He was God's beloved Son.
Even though it seemed that there would be no limit to what they would do for
him, they faltered in tough times.  Abraham didn't.  But the good news for
us is that Jesus died and rose that we might be forgiven and restored in our
relationship with God and those around us.  So we can be humble in asking
forgiveness, and generous in granting it to those who have harmed us.

I pray that I may be strengthened in my relationship with God.  I pray that
I may receive and grant forgiveness with humility and faith.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Dorothy asks prayers for a special intention. Marcella asks prayers for two
intentions. Anna requests prayers of healing for her brother who is battling
cancer. Sharon asks prayers for a friend and her daughter who are going
through a difficult time, that God will put them where they need to be.

Debbie asks for prayers for much needed rain in drought stricken areas of
Texas. Nancy asks prayers for her daughter who will have two surgeries in
the next days. Sharon requests prayers for a grandson who is fighting with a
serious addiction. Kaye requests prayers for her husband who has just been
diagnosed with lung cancer.

Susanne asks for good health for her family and a new good paying job for
her husband. Anna requests prayers for her best friend, that the good Lord
guide her decisions regarding her Father's health and well-being. Diana asks
prayers for several intentions.

Yolanda asks prayers for a special intention. A member asks prayers for the
healing of her shoulder injury. Frieda asks prayers for a special intention.
Helen-Ann prays to obtain her nursing license with a successful registration
examination on April 1, 2009.