<MP>Sunday, 06 July 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 18:26:12 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** 12 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

St. Maria Goretti (1890-1902)
One of the largest crowds ever assembled for a
canonization-250,000-symbolized the reaction of millions touched by the
simple story of Maria Goretti. She was the daughter of a poor Italian tenant
farmer, had no chance to go to school, never learned to read or write. When
she made her First Communion not long before her death at age 12, she was
one of the larger and somewhat backward members of the class.  For more,
follow the link below:

Brothers and sisters: You are not in the flesh; on the contrary, you are in
the spirit, if only the Spirit of God dwells in you.  ~Romans 8:9, 11-13

At that time Jesus exclaimed: "I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven
and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the
learned you have revealed them to little ones.  ~Matthew 11:25-30

The Kingdom of God is not lost on little children.  The little ones know and
remember the things hidden from the wise and the learned.  It's not that we
didn't know these things before, but our sophistication can tempt us to
think too much.  Maria Goretti, our Saint celebrated on July 6th knew at age
12 that she would not bend her moral values even under the threat of death.
She died rather than submit to an 18-year-old. She stands as a model of
purity today, and of forgiveness as well.  Through her death others came to
faith, including her attacker. She lived as a child of the Spirit, and died
in such a way to inspire others to purity and new life in Christ.

I pray that I may hold onto some of the innocence of my youth.  I pray that
I may live as a person of the spirit, not of the flesh.  I pray that I may
know today and always, God's forgiveness and the new chance he continues to
offer me.