<MP>Sunday, 03 February 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:00:22 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Blase (d. 316)
We know more about the devotion to St. Blase by Christians around the world
than we know about the saint himself. His feast is observed as a holy day in
some Eastern Churches. The Council of Oxford, in 1222, prohibited servile
labor in England on Blase's feast day. The Germans and Slavs hold him in
special honor and for decades many United States Catholics have sought the
annual St. Blase blessing for their throats

Seek the LORD, all you humble of the earth, who have observed his law; seek
justice, seek humility; perhaps you may be sheltered on the day of the
LORD's anger.  ~ Zephaniah 2:3; 3:12-13

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the
meek, for they will inherit the land.  ~ Matthew 5:1-12a

The humble of the world are the most likely to accept Jesus and what He has
to offer them.  When we feel small in the eyes of God, we can remind
ourselves that we are fortunate to know that we need God. We can observe
God's law and live humble lives seeking justice for all people.

I pray that I may consider those in this world that are seen as humble and
lowly. I pray that, rather than pitying them, we can try to see their
special place in the heart of God. I pray that I may strive to follow their
example of humility and simple gratitude.