<MP>Sunday, 02 May 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 15:44:21 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

St. Athanasius (295?-373)
Athanasius led a tumultuous but dedicated life of service to the Church. He
was the great champion of the faith against the widespread heresy of
Arianism. The vigor of his writings earned him the title of doctor of the
Church. Born of a Christian family in Alexandria, Egypt, and given a
classical education, Athanasius became secretary to Alexander, the bishop of
Alexandria, entered the priesthood and was eventually named bishop himself.
His predecessor, Alexander, had been an outspoken critic of a new movement
growing in the East-Arianism. When Athanasius assumed his role as bishop of
Alexandria, he continued the fight against Arianism. At first it seemed that
the battle would be easily won and that Arianism would be condemned. Such,
however, did not prove to be the case. The Council of Tyre was called and
for several reasons that are still unclear, the Emperor Constantine exiled
Athanasius to northern Gaul. This was to be the first in a series of travels
and exiles reminiscent of the life of St. Paul.

And when they arrived, they called the church together and reported what God
had done with them and how he had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles.
~Acts 14:21-27

My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. I give you a new
commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love
one another. This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you
have love for one another."  ~John 13:31-33a, 34-35

Jesus is very much with the early Christian community. In today's First
Reading He opens the door of faith to the Gentiles. In our Gospel he
presents us with the commandment to "love one another." He remains with His
Church asking us to do the very same thing, following always in His
footsteps.

I pray that I may keep the door of faith open to all people.  I pray that I
may love others as Jesus has first loved me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

We pray for our 53 students who will be Confirmed at Saint Pat's this
Sunday.  We pray for those receiving Confirmation and First Communion,
especially the second graders in our CCD Program who will receive First
Communion this weekend.