<MP>Saturday, 30 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 23:02:20 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Gregory VII (1020-1085)
The tenth century and the first half of the eleventh were dark days for the
Church, partly because the papacy was the pawn of various Roman families. In
1049, things began to change when Pope Leo IX, a reformer, was elected. He
brought a young monk named Hildebrand to Rome as his counselor and special
representative on important missions. He was to become Gregory VII. Three
evils plagued the Church then: simony (the buying and selling of sacred
offices and things), the unlawful marriage of the clergy and lay investiture
(kings and nobles controlling the appointment of Church officials). To all
of these Hildebrand directed his reformer's attention, first as counselor to
the popes and later (1073-1085) as pope himself.  For more, follow the link
below:

He remained for two full years in his lodgings. He received all who came to
him, and with complete assurance and without hindrance he proclaimed the
Kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ. ~Acts 28:16-20, 30-31

It is this disciple who testifies to these things and has written them, and
we know that his testimony is true. There are also many other things that
Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think
the whole world would contain the books that would be written. ~John
21:20-25

Conversion and change are possible.  We see that in the example of Paul in
our first reading, as he proclaims the Kingdom of God and teaches about the
Lord Jesus Christ.  It is good if we remember that conversion and change are
possible for us too, no matter how far we may have strayed.

I pray that I may be inspired by Paul's conversion and change.  I pray that
I may summon the courage to ask for and use God's strength to change for the
better in my own life.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Fanny requests prayers for someone who is at this death bed, so our Lord
opens His arms to him. I ask prayers for a priest friend who died this week.
Holly asks prayers for her brother, his wife, and their unborn daughter, who
will be delivered next Wednesday morning with a rare chromosomal defect.
Mary asks prayers for her sister who is losing her job and will have to
start over.

Neil requests prayers for his daughter's successful surgery and rapid
recovery with minimum pain. Member asks for prayers for two grown grandsons
that have not direction and are floundering. Marilyn asks prayers that her
granddaughter find gainful employment as a doctorate in psychology.

A member requests prayers for her sister who is having difficulty adjusting
to her husband's death. PJF requests prayers for her sister and family who
need spiritual and emotional healing. Joan asks prayers for a family friend
who has had surgery for throat cancer.

mother ask prayers for son that is taking drugs. Diane asks prayers for her
son-in-law and brother-in-law who are looking for employment.  Mary requests
prayers in her search for employment so that she is able to keep her home.
Frieda asks prayers for her son who needs a job.

Rosemary asks prayers for her son to find a good job with benefits. Debbie
requests prayer for her dear friend who was just diagnosed with Hodgkin's
lymphoma. Irene asking prayer to pass her examination in civil service
commission scheduled on July 26, 2009. Luvina requests prayers for her
children, grandchildren and herself for general wisdom and guidance in
everyday life.