<MP>Saturday, 29 August 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:00:25 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Martyrdom of John the Baptist
The drunken oath of a king with a shallow sense of honor, a seductive dance
and the hateful heart of a queen combined to bring about the martyrdom of
John the Baptist. The greatest of prophets suffered the fate of so many Old
Testament prophets before him: rejection and martyrdom. The "voice crying in
the desert" did not hesitate to accuse the guilty, did not hesitate to speak
the truth. But why? What possesses a man that he would give up his very
life?   For more, follow the link below:

Nevertheless we urge you, brothers and sisters, to progress even more, and
to aspire to live a tranquil life, to mind your own affairs, and to work
with your own hands, as we instructed you. ~1 Thessalonians 4:9-11

He went off and beheaded him in the prison. He brought in the head on a
platter and gave it to the girl. The girl in turn gave it to her mother.
When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body and laid it
in a tomb. ~Mark 6:17-29

What would others think?  We can focus more on that than on doing right.
Herod did that in today's Gospel, and John the Baptist is beheaded. Still,
his martyrdom inspires many others to follow the way and to do right.

I pray that I may worry more about doing right than what others might think
of me.  I pray that my example may lead others closer to Christ.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Tammy who is a single mother prays for guidance and strength to provide for
her family financially and to ease her struggle in doing so. Ro asks prayers
for her brother's family whose son was murdered wed night in his home. Trish
asks prayers for a special intention.

Sharon asks prayers for a special intention. Bettye and Bernard ask prayers
for a very special intention.  Carrie asks prayers for her friend who is
recovering from surgery.

Judi asks prayers for a special intention. Chris asks prayers for his
son-in-law who is having eye problems, and due to a corporate merger, is at
risk of losing his job. A mother requests prayers for her son for a special
intention.

George asks prayers for a friend who is fighting cancer. Tom asks prayers
for a special intention. Jean requests prayer for a friend who is again
battling cancer.

Jean asks prayers for her husband who begins the medical process to replace
a heart valve. A member requests prayers for a young mother who has stage
four breast cancer, that she may be healed. Jeannine requests prayers for
her friend Nadia who is going through a difficult pregnancy.