<MP>Saturday, 26 September 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:31:23 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Sts. Cosmas and Damian (d. 303?)
Nothing is known of their lives except that they suffered martyrdom in Syria
during the persecution of Diocletian.
A church erected on the site of their burial place was enlarged by the
emperor Justinian. Devotion to the two saints spread rapidly in both East
and West. A famous basilica was erected in their honor in Constantinople.
Their names were placed in the canon of the Mass, probably in the sixth
century. Legend says that they were twin brothers born in Arabia, who became
skilled doctors. They were among those who are venerated in the East as the
"moneyless ones" because they did not charge a fee for their services. It
was impossible that such prominent persons would escape unnoticed in time of
persecution: They were arrested and beheaded.   For more, follow the link
below:

See, I am coming to dwell among you, says the LORD. Many nations shall join
themselves to the LORD on that day,
and they shall be his people and he will dwell among you. ~Zechariah 2:5-9,
14-15a

While they were all amazed at his every deed, Jesus said to his disciples,
"Pay attention to what I am telling you.
The Son of Man is to be handed over to men."  ~Luke 9:43b-45

Jesus would indeed be handed over and crucified.  His disciples didn't know
what this all meant.  In the 2000 years since it happened we understand much
more clearly.  We know that he died to save us all, and to show us the way
to God's Kingdom.  We can strive to walk in His footsteps!

A member prays that God's will be done as she takes a test tonight for an
opportunity to interview a new job.  A member asks prayers for a coworker
who lost his infant son. Lisa requests prayers for good test results at her
Tuesday appointment.

Barb asks for safety and health for her family as we travel. Prayer of
thanksgiving for daughters job, and asking God to give her the knowledge and
wisdom that she will do the job well. Lynn asks prayers for her 3 yr. old
grandson who is extremely sick with the flu. Mary asks prayers for someone
who is in severe pain from a neck fracture & may need a 2nd operation.