<MP>Saturday, 25 July 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:35:51 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. James
This James is the brother of John the Evangelist. The two were called by
Jesus as they worked with their father in a fishing boat on the Sea of
Galilee. Jesus had already called another pair of brothers from a similar
occupation: Peter and Andrew. "He walked along a little farther and saw
James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat
mending their nets. Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee
in the boat along with the hired men and followed him" (Mark 1:19-20). James
was one of the favored three who had the privilege of witnessing the
Transfiguration, the raising to life of the daughter of Jairus and the agony
in Gethsemani.   For more, follow the link below:

Brothers and sisters: We hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the
surpassing power may be of God and not from us. ~2 Corinthians 4:7-15

But Jesus summoned them and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles
lord it over them, and the great ones make their authority over them felt.
But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among
you shall be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you shall be
your slave. Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served
but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many." ~Matthew 20:20-28

Many of us would like to be important.  We may consider importance to be
power, that we can do less and others more. Jesus describes the rulers of
the Gentiles in that way.  Yet he tells us that " ... whoever wishes to be
great among you sahll be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you
shall be your slave."  We *are* important, and as such may "not come to be
served but to serve ... "

I pray that I may know my importance in God's eyes.  I pray that I may not
use my importance to lord it over others, but to serve them, in imitation of
Jesus.