<MP>Saturday, 23 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:57:51 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

V E R T E B R O P L A S T Y    L O O K S    G O O D
I had the Vetebroplasty at Mayo Clinic early this morning. I spent three
hours flat on my stomach during the surgery, then two hours flat on my back
as the bone cement hardened. The L-1 and L-5 vertebrae were fractured and
collapsed.  Although the doctor was skeptical at first he was happy to
report that things went perfectly.  There was no leakage of bone cement and
the x-ray pictures look great. Of course it was necessary to poke four more
holes in my back, and it will take a bit of time for the inflammation to go
down before we can accurately assess the pain and discomfort reduction, etc.
So far it feels better!  Thanks so much for your precious prayers.  Don't
stop now!

   Only ELEVEN seats remain, FOUR from La Crosse.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

St. Rose of Lima (1586-1617)
The first canonized saint of the New World has one characteristic of all
saints-the suffering of opposition-and another characteristic which is more
for admiration than for imitation-excessive practice of mortification. She
was born to parents of Spanish descent in Lima, Peru, at a time when South
America was in its first century of evangelization. She seems to have taken
Catherine of Siena as a model, in spite of the objections and ridicule of
parents and friends.  For more, follow the link below:

The greatest among you must be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be
humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted." ~Matthew 23:1-12

In today's Gospel Jesus tells the crowds to do what the scribes and
Pharisees say, but not follow their example.  They are more concerned about
their position and authority than helping those who are in need.  Jesus
tells the crowds where real importance comes from. "The greatest among you
must be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever
humbles himself will be exalted."

I pray that I may live a life of quiet humility.  I pray that I may notice
and respond to the needs of others out of my love for God.  I pray that I
may follow Jesus example by living as the servant of others.