<MP>Saturday, 20 December 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:52:00 -0600 (CST)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P  R A Y E R  :=:
     ~From Father Pat Umberger

I ‘ M    H O M E    A G A I N
I got up this morning and headed for Franciscan Skemp in La Crosse for my
two antibiotic IV's.  It is supposed to take two hours for both of them,
but of course, there were delays.  The Chemo nurse was very good though,
and "tweaked" the machine so I'd be ready to leave at 10:30 a.m. for
Jacob's Funeral. For much more, visit the blog at my Web Site:
www.frpat.com/mayoblog

.=:  S A I N T    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

St. Dominic of Silos (c. 1000-1073)
It’s not the founder of the Dominicans we honor today, but there’s a
poignant story that connects one Dominic with the other. Our saint today,
Dominic of Silos was born in Spain around the year 1000 into a peasant
family. As a young boy he spent time in the fields, where he welcomed the
solitude. He became a Benedictine priest and served in numerous leadership
positions. Following a dispute with the king over property, Dominic and
two other monks were exiled. They established a new monastery in what at
first seemed an unpromising location. Under Dominic’s leadership, however,
it became one of the most famous houses in Spain. Many healings were
reported there.

.=:  S C R I P T U R E    O F    T  H E    D A Y  :=.

Is it not enough for you to weary men, must you also weary my God?
Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign: the virgin shall
conceive and bear a son, and shall name him Emmanuel. ~Isaiah 7:10-14

Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me
according to your word. ”Then the angel departed from her. ~Luke 1:26-38

.=: M E D I T A T I O N    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

Isaiah’s dream is full of hope and expectation. And it comes true! An
answer comes to the prayer of the people, “O come O come Emmanuel and
ransom captive Israel.” The Virgil will conceive and will bear a son and
name him Emmanuel, God with us. The virgin’s name is Mary.  In today’s
Gospel we hear the wonderful encounter of Mary and the angel Gabriel. And
we hear Mary’s response and act of faith, “Mary said, “Behold, I am the
handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” As we
wait in joyful hope, we pray for the willingness to do God’s will in our
own lives.

 .=: P R A Y E R    F O R    T H E    D A Y  :=.

I pray that I may not be afraid, but that I may look forward expectantly
to the Lord’s coming.  I pray that as I live my life, I may be ready to
respond as Mary did to God’s call, “I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it
be done to me according to your word.”

We pray for the justice that leads to lasting peace, and for the
willingness to stand up for and defend life. We pray for all those being
called to Church vocations, that they may be willing to respond
generously.

Keep me in your prayers and know you are remembered in mine as well.  May
God continue to bless you and those you love, and keep you safe!

Father Pat
                    ~Be still and know that I am God.”  ~Psalm 46:10