<MP>Saturday, 19 January 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:04:46 -0600

I ' M    B A C K
I'm back from Guadalupe and Mexico City.  Sorry I didn't get this out last
night.  My computer wasn't working.  I got up at 3:12 a.m. on Friday and
traveled all day and much of the night, after many airline delays in
Chicago.  But I'm back now, safe and sound!  And you'll get yet another
Morning Prayer in just a few hours. Thanks for your prayers on my behalf.
Know that your intentions were remembered at Guadalupe, daily Mass and in
prayers in the many Churches in Mexico City.

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Fabian (c. 250)
Fabian was a Roman layman who came into the city from his farm one day as
clergy and people were preparing to elect a new pope. Eusebius, a Church
historian, says a dove flew in and settled on the head of Fabian. This sign
united the votes of clergy and laity and he was chosen unanimously.  For
more, follow the link below:

Then, from a flask he had with him, Samuel poured oil on Saul's head; he
also kissed him, saying: "The LORD anoints you commander over his heritage.
You are to govern the LORD's people Israel, and to save them from the grasp
of their enemies roundabout.  ~1 Samuel 9:1-4, 17-19; 10:1

Some scribes who were Pharisees saw that Jesus was eating with sinners and
tax collectors and said to his disciples, "Why does he eat with tax
collectors and sinners?" Jesus heard this and said to them, "Those who are
well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the
righteous but sinners."   ~Mark 2:13-17

At our Baptism we too were anointed as Priest, Prophet and King. When we
make mistakes and fall into sinfulness it's good for us to seek forgiveness
rather than trying to deflect attention to the sins of others. As Jesus
says, "I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

I pray that I may not be self-righteous, but be aware of my own weakness and
sinfulness.  I pray that I may know God's love for me and receive His
forgiveness and healing help.