<MP>Saturday, 16 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:25:09 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   *** At least 18 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

St. Stephen of Hungary (975-1038)
The Church is universal, but its expression is always affected-for good or
ill-by local culture. There are no "generic" Christians; there are Mexican
Christians, Polish Christians, Filipino Christians. This fact is evident in
the life of Stephen, national hero and spiritual patron of Hungary.
Born a pagan, he was baptized at about the age of ten, together with his
father, chief of the Magyars, a group who migrated to the Danube area in the
ninth century. At 20 he married Gisela, sister to the future emperor, St.
Henry. When he succeeded his father, Stephen adopted a policy of
Christianization of the country for both political and religious reasons. He
suppressed a series of revolts by pagan nobles and welded the Magyars into a
strong national group. He sent to Rome to get ecclesiastical
organization-and also to ask the pope to confer the title of king upon him.
He was crowned on Christmas day in 1001.  For more, follow the link below:

Turn and be converted from all your crimes, that they may be no cause of
guilt for you. Cast away from you all the crimes you have committed, and
make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. ~Ezekiel 18:1-10, 13b,
30-32

The disciples rebuked them, but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me,
and do not prevent them; for the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as
these." ~Matthew 19:13-15

Innocence.  We can lose it during our lives.  We can drift away from
practice of our faith and from living decently.  Then we can remember that
Jesus died for us in our sinfulness and brings us forgiveness.  We can do as
Ezekiel says, "Cast away from you all the crimes you have committed, and
make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit."  We can become again like
the little children Jesus loved so much.  We can learn from our misdeeds and
draw near again to the God who always yearns to draw near to us.

I pray that I may not give up on myself, that I may turn from myself and
receive God's forgiveness.  I pray that I may recapture some of the
innocence of my youth as I make for myself "a new heart and a new spirit."