<MP>Saturday, 08 December 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:12:57 -0600

T H A N K S    F O R    Y O U R    P R A Y E R S
I forgot to report on my 1 day post-surgery checkup.  The pressure in the
eye is still a bit high, but part of the eye was purposely destroyed with a
laser.  As the inflammation goes down the pressure may even out as well. The
good news ... I don't have to take the dreaded "orange capsules" any more.
I asked the Doctor for a punch card thinking I may get my fifth surgery for
free.  That didn't work out so well for me.

R A F F L E    C A L E N D A R
$16,755 in Prizes!  A winner every day all year!

2008 Adesse Raffle Calendars are now available!  There are daily drawings
from 01 January-31 December 2008.  Calendars are $25. You'll be a winner
because you'll be helping our parish . . . and you might win a prize as
well!  If you're interested, just visit our Parish Web Site to see the
calendar, prizes and more . . . and fill out the easy form there and we'll
save some for you!  Just follow the banner link from: www.stpatz.com

A D V E N T    P A G E S
Our Advent Pages are up and running ... from links to alternative Christmas
gifts to much more.  Just follow the banner link from:  www.frpat.com

     From Father Pat Umberger

Feast of the Immaculate Conception: a Holy Day of Obligation
A feast called the Conception of Mary arose in the Eastern Church in the
seventh century. It came to the West in the eighth century. In the eleventh
century it received its present name, the Immaculate Conception. In the
eighteenth century it became a feast of the universal Church.
In 1854 Pius IX gave the infallible statement: "The most Blessed Virgin
Mary, in the first instant of her conception, by a singular grace and
privilege granted by almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ,
the savior of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original
sin."  For more, click the link below:

You have eaten, then, from the tree of which I had forbidden you to eat!"
The man replied, "The woman whom you put here with me, she gave me fruit
from the tree, and so I ate it." The LORD God then asked the woman, "Why did
you do such a thing?" The woman answered, "The serpent tricked me into it,
so I ate it."  ~Genesis 3:9-15, 20

Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me
according to your word."  ~Luke 1:26-38

Mary is for us an example of purity. We live in a confusing society, where
the things of the world and of the flesh are presented as the most
attractive. Today we are confronted with a woman of purity and faith, who
said "Yes" to God without anticipating or counting the cost.

I pray that I may value purity in my life and set a good example for those
around me.  I pray that I too, may be ready to follow God's call when it
comes to me, considering not the things of this world, but those that will
last forever.