<MP>Saturday, 07 June 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:02:15 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8
   10-22 November 2008

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** 12 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

Servant of God Joseph Perez (1890-1928)
"The blood of martyrs is the seed of the Church," said Tertullian in the
third century. Joseph Perez carried on that tradition. Joseph was born in
Coronet, Mexico, and joined the Franciscans when he was 17. Because of
Mexico's civil unrest at that time (the forces of Pancho Villa had crossed
into New Mexico on a raid the previous year), he was forced to take his
philosophy and theology studies in California.  For more, follow the link
below:

I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From
now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge,
will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed
for his appearance.  ~2 Timothy 4:1-8

In the course of his teaching Jesus said,"Beware of the scribes, who like to
go around in long robes and accept greetings in the marketplaces, seats of
honor in synagogues, and places of honor at banquets. They devour the houses
of widows and, as a pretext, recite lengthy prayers. They will receive a
very severe condemnation." ~Matthew 12:38-44

Paul is happy with his accomplishments and how he has finished the race and
kept the faith. Jesus, in our Gospel, warns about the scribes, those who
wear long robes, accept seats of honor in the synagogue.  Faith that is
honest is always rewarded.  It is possible for us to try and be sincere and
holy, but live another way. Paul tells us of the severe condemnation they
will receive.

I pray that I may live in such a way that I'm happy with my accomplishments.
I pray that my "faith" helps me meet the needs of others, rather than
accepting appreciation and praise from those who do not have faith. I pray
that I may be more like the lady who was very poor and put in the temple
basket two small coins worth just a few cents.  Her practice was more holy
because, out of her want, she gave a great deal.  I pray that I m have a
generous heart, and that I may give to others without my left hand is not
looking at what my right hand is doing.