<MP>Saturday, 05 July 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:37:17 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** 14 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

St. Anthony Zaccaria (1502-1539)
At the same time that Martin Luther was attacking abuses in the Church, a
reformation within the Church was already being attempted. Among the early
movers of the Counter-Reformation was Anthony Zaccaria. His mother became a
widow at 18 and devoted herself to the spiritual education of her son. He
received a medical doctorate at 22 and, while working among the poor of his
native Cremona, was attracted to the religious apostolate. He renounced his
rights to any future inheritance, worked as a catechist, and was ordained a
priest at the age of 26. Called to Milan in a few years, he laid the
foundations of three religious congregations, one for men, one for women and
another for laity. The three foundations met regularly and engaged together
in various forms of apostolic action. Their aim was the reform of the
decadent society of their day, beginning with the clergy and religious.  For
more, follow the link below:

The Lord speaks of peace to His people.  ~Psalm 85

The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then
they will fast. No one patches an old cloak with a piece of unshrunken
cloth, for its fullness pulls away from the cloak and the tear gets worse.
People do not put new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise the skins burst,
the wine spills out, and the skins are ruined. Rather, they pour new wine
into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved."   ~Matthew 9:14-17

Why, why, why?  John's disciples ask, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast?"
"Why do your disciples not fast?"  Those "why's" can betray a bit of bad
will and a bit of spinning of wheels.  Fasting is good, but mercy is much
more important.  When we're spending time questioning and criticizing, then
we have less time and energy for mercy.

I pray that my questions may lead me not to judgment, but to deeper faith.
I pray that I may use my time and energy not questioning and criticizing,
but being a person of mercy.  I pray that my life may bring others closer to
Jesus.