<MP>Saturday, 02 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 00:09:42 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   EARLY SIGN-UP DEADLINE IS AUGUST 2nd!
   SIGN UP & PAY DEPOSIT BY THEN AND SAVE $100!

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** At least 16 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

St. Eusebius of Vercelli (283?-371)
Someone has said that if there had been no Arian heresy it would be very
difficult to write the lives of many early saints. Eusebius is another of
the defenders of the Church during one of its most trying periods.  For
more, follow the link below:

Thereupon the princes and all the people said to the priests and the
prophets, "This man does not deserve death; it is in the name of the LORD,
our God, that he speaks to us."  ~Jeremiah 26:11-16,24

But at a birthday celebration for Herod, the daughter of Herodias performed
a dance before the guests and delighted Herod so much that he swore to give
her whatever she might ask for. Prompted by her mother, she said, "Give me
here on a platter the head of John the Baptist." The king was distressed,
but because of his oaths and the guests who were present, he ordered that it
be given, and he had John beheaded in the prison. ~Matthew 14:1-12

What are we willing to do in order to save face?  Sometimes we remain silent
when people or groups of people are belittled. We might speed, drink, smoke
or use another drug because others are. Our language can become coarse, and
sometimes we can gossip. We can pick on those smaller or weaker than we are.
In today's Gospel Herod saves face by beheading John the Baptist and
presenting it to a little girl on a platter. We can see how ludicrous this
is ... yet we sometimes bend our own values too, in order to save face.

I pray that I may know what is right and just.  I pray that I may seek
courage from God that I might do right even when this sets me apart from
others.  I pray that I may not bend my values and set a bad example for
others by saving face.