<MP>Saturday, 01 November 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:51:03 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to look
forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize every
day in 2009 ... from $30 to $500.  Prizes total $16,755.  Only 3000
calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out, just follow the
banner link from:  www.stpatz.com

Feast of All Saints
The earliest certain observance of a feast in honor of all the saints is an
early fourth-century commemoration of "all the martyrs." In the early
seventh century, after successive waves of invaders plundered the catacombs,
Pope Boniface IV gathered up some 28 wagonloads of bones and reinterred them
beneath the Pantheon, a Roman temple dedicated to all the gods. The pope
rededicated the shrine as a Christian church. According to Venerable Bede,
the pope intended "that the memory of all the saints might in the future be
honored in the place which had formerly been dedicated to the worship not of
gods but of demons" (On the Calculation of Time).  For more, follow the link
below:

We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see
him as he is. ~1 John 3:1-3

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the
meek, for they will inherit the land. ~Matthew 5:1-12a

Today we celebrate the Feast of All Saints.  We are so thankful to belong to
a Church that lifts up heroes ... and tells us that the Saints in Heaven can
help us from their places there.  Some Saints have been named and Canonized
by the Church.  Others are among our own family members and friends.  As we
consider them, we consider the heroism of their lives as well.  Some died
for their faith.  Others lived very quietly for their faith, following
Jesus' footsteps and living the Beatitudes found in our Gospel today. May we
summon the courage to follow their example.

I pray that I may have an even stronger belief in the Saints.  I pray that I
may receive the help I need, and then strive to live a saintly live myself.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Suz-Anne asks prayers for her grandson who has been put in a mental
hospital. Franklin asks prayers that voters in this election choose a
candidate who respects life and the sanctity of marriage. Member asks prayer
for her sister who is living with chronic pain and having new treatment.

Tony asks prayers for his wife who is recovering from breast cancer. Bettye
asks prayers for her daughter to have a safe trip this weekend and for her
son to get the job he is interviewing for.