<MP>Monday, 31 May 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 18:53:04 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

18-28 October 2010 - $2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse - 9 seats
remain.
Brochure, sign-up sheet & links to hotels are now available at the Web Site:

Visitation
This is a fairly late feast, going back only to the 13th or 14th century. It
was established widely throughout the Church to pray for unity. The present
date of celebration was set in 1969 in order to follow the Annunciation of
the Lord (March 25) and precede the Birthday of John the Baptist (June 24).
Like most feasts of Mary, it is closely connected with Jesus and his saving
work. The more visible actors in the visitation drama (see Luke 1:39-45) are
Mary and Elizabeth. However, Jesus and John the Baptist steal the scene in a
hidden way. Jesus makes John leap with joy-the joy of messianic salvation.
Elizabeth, in turn, is filled with the Holy Spirit and addresses words of
praise to Mary-words that echo down through the ages. It is helpful to
recall that we do not have a journalist's account of this meeting. Rather,
Luke, speaking for the Church, gives a prayerful poet's rendition of the
scene. Elizabeth's praise of Mary as "the mother of my Lord" can be viewed
as the earliest Church's devotion to Mary. As with all authentic devotion to
Mary, Elizabeth's (the Church's) words first praise God for what God has
done to Mary. Only secondly does she praise Mary for trusting God's words.
Then comes the Magnificat (Luke 1:46-55). Here Mary herself (like the
Church) traces all her greatness to God.

He will rejoice over you with gladness, and renew you in his love, He will
sing joyfully because of you, as one sings at festivals. ~Zephaniah 3:3-14a

And Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit
rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on his lowly
servant. From this day all generations will call me blessed: the Almighty
has done great things for me, and holy is his Name. ~Luke 1:39-56

Mary says "Yes" to God and will bear the very Son of God. Rather than
staying at home and haring for herself, she travels a great distance to see
Elizabeth, also pregnant.  The baby in Elizabeth's womb leaps for joy, Mary
proclaims the greatness of the Lord and stays with her cousin for three
months before returning home.

I pray that I may say "Yes" to God, no matter what the cost.  I pray that I
may proclaim God's greatness too, as I strive to do His will.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Deb asks prayers for her daughter so that she learns to make good choices in
her relationships. Member asks for prayers for grandson who has drinking and
social problems.