<MP>Monday;, 30 June 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:26:33 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8
   10-22 November 2008

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** 14 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

First Martyrs of the Church of Rome (d. 68)
There were Christians in Rome within a dozen or so years after the death of
Jesus, though they were not the converts of the "Apostle of the Gentiles"
(Romans 15:20). Paul had not yet visited them at the time he wrote his great
letter in a.d. 57-58. There was a large Jewish population in Rome. Probably
as a result of controversy between Jews and Jewish Christians, the Emperor
Claudius expelled all Jews from Rome in 49-50 A.D. Suetonius the historian
says that the expulsion was due to disturbances in the city "caused by the
certain Chrestus" [Christ]. Perhaps many came back after Claudius's death in
54 A.D. Paul's letter was addressed to a Church with members from Jewish and
Gentile backgrounds.  For more, follow the link below:

A scribe approached and said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever
you go." Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have
nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head." Another of his
disciples said to him,
"Lord, let me go first and bury my father." But Jesus answered him, "Follow
me, and let the dead bury their dead."  ~Matthew 8:18-22

It is easy for us to say we'll follow the Lord.  And easy to follow as long
as the Lord calls us to familiarity and comfort.  Sometimes though, the call
doesn't meet our expectations.  Rather than doing something easy, we need to
summon the grace to do something difficult for the Lord.  Then we can
remember the way Jesus and His disciples lived their lives and willingly
left behind all that was familiar.

I pray that I may be ready to follow the Lord's call wherever it leads me.
I pray that I can accept a call I would not choose for myself and carry it
out, simply because it is God's will and it comes from the Lord.