<MP>Monday, 25 February 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:18:05 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Blessed Sebastian of Aparicio (1502-1600)
Sebastian's roads and bridges connected many distant places. His final
bridge-building was to help men and women recognize their God-given dignity
and destiny. Sebastian's parents were Spanish peasants. At the age of 31 he
sailed to Mexico, where he began working in the fields. Eventually he built
roads to facilitate agricultural trading and other commerce. His 466-mile
road from Mexico City to Zacatecas took 10 years to build and required
careful negotiations with the indigenous peoples along the way.  For more,
click the link below:

So Naaman went down and plunged into the Jordan seven times at the word of
the man of God. His flesh became again like the flesh of a little child, and
he was clean.  ~2 Kings 5:1-15ab

Jesus said to the people in the synagogue at Nazareth: "Amen, I say to you,
no prophet is accepted in his own native place.  ~Luke 4:24-30

When we are in need of something, even healing, we imagine ahead of time how
this healing will take place.  Leprosy was a terrible disease and Naaman in
our first reading thought extraordinary measures would be necessary.  Still,
he was told to plunge into the Jordan river seven times.  And he was cured.
Jesus found too, that it's difficult to be a prophet at home.  People seem
to expect greatness to come from somewhere far away.  We can listen to these
lessons and come to understand that God works in His own ways, and many
times in ordinary ways and through the seemingly ordinary people around us.

I pray that I may not try to figure out ahead of time how and through whom
God will work in my life.  I pray that I may simply relax in God's presence,
know His love, and trust that I will be given what is best for me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Cecilia asks prayers for a special intention. Neil asks prayers for his
daughter that God may once again give her the gift of faith and that she
will return to an active practice of the Catholic faith. Kathleen asks
prayers for a special intention.

JP asks prayers for a neighbor whose 15 year old son was killed in an auto
accident on Friday. Parents ask prayer for their son returning to Iraq for
the second time. Carol asks prayers for her husband who will be having a CTA
scan on Monday for a suspected aneurysm. Amy asks prayers for herself as
she's recovering from an upper respiratory infection/and bronchitis.