<MP>Monday, 19 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:20:26 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to look
forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize every
day in 2010 ... from $30 to $500 each day.  Prizes total $16,580.  No more
than 3000 calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out, just
follow the banner link from:  www.stpatz.com

St. Isaac Jogues, John de Brébeuf and Companions Isaac Jogues (1607-1646):
Isaac Jogues and his companions were the first martyrs of the North American
continent officially recognized by the Church. As a young Jesuit, Isaac
Jogues, a man of learning and culture, taught literature in France. He gave
up that career to work among the Huron Indians in the New World, and in 1636
he and his companions, under the leadership of John de Brébeuf, arrived in
Quebec. The Hurons were constantly warred upon by the Iroquois, and in a few
years Father Jogues was captured by the Iroquois and imprisoned for 13
months. His letters and journals tell how he and his companions were led
from village to village, how they were beaten, tortured and forced to watch
as their Huron converts were mangled and killed.   For more, follow the link
below:

But God said to him, ?You fool, this night your life will be demanded of
you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?? Thus will
it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what
matters to God.? ~Luke 12:13-21

It's tempting for us to accumulate many "things."  Houses, cars, boats,
pension funds, etc. seem to be our security.  If we have enough, we won't
have to worry.  Then we come to see that none of these things come with us
when we die.  Funeral coaches don't have luggage racks.  So we need to
treasure the things that will last forever.

I pray that I may not seek security in material things.  I pray that I may
work for the things that last forever.