<MP>Monday, 18 January 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:24:01 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Charles of Sezze (1613-1670)
Charles thought that God was calling him to be a missionary in India, but he
never got there. God had something better for this 17th-century successor to
Brother Juniper. Born in Sezze, southeast of Rome, Charles was inspired by
the lives of Salvator Horta and Paschal Baylon to become a Franciscan; he
did that in 1635. Charles tells us in his autobiography, "Our Lord put in my
heart a determination to become a lay brother with a great desire to be poor
and to beg alms for his love."  For more, follow the link below:

But Samuel said: "Does the LORD so delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as in obedience to the command of the LORD?
Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission than the fat of rams. ~1
Samuel 15:16-23

People came to Jesus and objected, "Why do the disciples of John and the
disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?" ~Matthew
2:18-22

How tempting it is to judge others by external behavior.  It can be tempting
too, to *do* things in order to be seen more favorably by others. Sacrifice
and fasting are good when they lead to generosity, humility and holiness,
but not when they lead to pride and self-righteousness.

I pray that I may work on my spiritual life quietly.  I pray that I may not
judge others, but that my sacrifice and fasting may lead to greater
compassion and generosity.

Keep me in your prayers and know you're remembered in mine as well. May God
continue to draw near to you and those you love and keep you safe!

All the best and God Bless,

Wisconsin State Council Knights of Columbus,
La Crosse Diocesan Chaplain
Fr. Pat's Web Site
Reaching Out
Parish Site