<MP>Monday, 18 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:23:34 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Only TWELVE seats remain.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   *** All but FOUR seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

St. Jane Frances de Chantal (1562-1641)
Jane Frances was wife, mother, nun and founder of a religious community. Her
mother died when Jane was 18 months old, and her father, head of parliament
at Dijon, France, became the main influence on her education. She developed
into a woman of beauty and refinement, lively and cheerful in temperament.
At 21 she married Baron de Chantal, by whom she had six children, three of
whom died in infancy. At her castle she restored the custom of daily Mass,
and was seriously engaged in various charitable works. Her husband was
killed after seven years of marriage, and she sank into deep dejection for
four months at her family home. Her father-in-law threatened to disinherit
her children if she did not return to his home. He was then 75, vain, fierce
and extravagant. Jane Frances managed to remain cheerful in spite of him and
his insolent housekeeper.  For more, follow the link below:

You shall not mourn or weep, but you shall rot away because of your sins and
groan one to another. ~Ezekiel 24:15-23

Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and
give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow
me." When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had
many possessions. ~Matthew 19:16-22

How much is too much?  We can compartmentalize our faith sometimes and try
to figure out the minimum we must do.  We can think following the
commandments, or at least the negative side of them is enough.   Jesus
emphasizes the change of heart that is necessary.  That change means that we
orient ourselves completely to the Lord and do away with anything that keeps
us far from God and those around us. The rich young man's possessions were
possessing him, and he was unwilling to give them up.

I pray that I may cherish and work for the things that last forever.  I pray
that I may see the stumbling blocks in my way and become ready to give them
up in order to seek unity with God and others.  I pray that the things that
hold me back, my possessions, will not possess me as they did the rich young
man.