<MP>Monday, 17 May 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 15:29:50 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

T H I R T Y    Y E A R S
Thirty years ago, on 16 May 1980 I was Ordained a priest. Some of us will
gather to celebrate today.  Please keep me in your prayers, along with the
people of my Parish, Aquinas Middle School and the people of the many
parishes I've served the past 30 years.  Immaculate Heart of Mary, West
Allis, WI as a Deacon, St. Mary in Burlington, St. Mary (Central) High
School/Burlington, St. James/La Crosse, St. Patrick/Mauston, St.
Jerome/Wonewoc, St. Teresa/Union Center, St. Patrick/Elroy, St.
Bronislava/Plover, Holy Family/Arcadia, St. John/Whitehall, St. Ansgar,
Blair, St. Patrick/Onalaska, Aquinas Middle School/La Crosse.

P E N T E C O S T    N O V E N A
Started on Friday, 14 May
A novena is made up of nine days of prayers for a special cause.  The Novena
in honor of the Holy Spirit is the most ancient of all Novenas.  It was the
first one ever prayed.  It recalls the period of nine days where Jesus sent
his apostles back to Jerusalem to await the coming of the Holy Spirit at
Pentecost. This wonderful Novena is addressed to the Holy Spirit and can be
a powerful way for us to prepare to receive the light, strength and courage
we need. So, let's pray this wonderful Novena, beginning on the Friday after
Ascension Thursday, this year on the 14th of May, even when, like this year
in the United States, the celebration of Holy Thursday is transferred to the
next Sunday.  Come Holy Spirit, Come!  Follow the banner link from:

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

St. Paschal Baylon (1540-1592)
In Paschal's lifetime the Spanish empire in the New World was at the height
of its power, though France and England were soon to reduce its influence.
The 16th century has been called the Golden Age of the Church in Spain, for
it gave birth to Ignatius of Loyola, Francis Xavier, Teresa of Avila, John
of the Cross, Peter of Alcantara, Francis Solano and Salvator of Horta.
Paschal's Spanish parents were poor and pious. Between the ages of seven and
24 he worked as a shepherd and began a life of mortification. He was able to
pray on the job and was especially attentive to the church bell which rang
at the Elevation during Mass. Paschal had a very honest streak in him. He
once offered to pay owners of crops for any damage his animals caused! In
1564 Paschal joined the Friars Minor and gave himself wholeheartedly to a
life of penance. Though he was urged to study for the priesthood, he chose
to be a brother. At various times he served as porter, cook, gardener and
official beggar.

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And
when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they
spoke in tongues and prophesied. Altogether there were about twelve men.
~Acts 19:1-8

Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived when each of you will be
scattered to his own home and you will leave me alone.
But I am not alone, because the Father is with me. I have told you this so
that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but
take courage, I have conquered the world."  ~John 16:29-33

After Jesus Ascends into Heaven, he promises the Holy Spirit.  He reassures
his disciples that He is with them always, especially in the troubles of
life.

I pray that I may know the Lord is with me always.  I pray that I may use
the Gifts of the Holy Spirit and know that God is with me especially in
difficult times.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Helen asks prayers for a friend's son who needs healing from a serious
illness that is life threatening. Pat asks for prayers of protection & safe
recovery of daughter & newborn who is having csection May 20. Member asks
for prayers for grandson who has drinking and social problems.