<MP>Monday, 15 September 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:45:54 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Only ELEVEN seats remain, FOUR from La Crosse.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
   (JFK) Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

F A M I L Y    F U N    F E S T

St. Pat's annual Fall Fun Fest is October 11th. There will be food, and fun
for people of all ages.  Studebaker 7 will provide entertainment from 7 p.m.
to 10:30 p.m. There are also Raffle Tickets available.  1-4th Prizes are
$1,000, 5th prize is $500, 6-10th prizes are $100. If you live close to us,
why not join us.  Or, perhaps you'd like to help us by purchasing some
raffle tickets.  You can learn more at: www.stpatz.com

Our Lady of Sorrows
For a while there were two feasts in honor of the Sorrowful Mother: one
going back to the 15th century, the other to the 17th century. For a while
both were celebrated by the universal Church: one on the Friday before Palm
Sunday, the other in September. The principal biblical references to Mary's
sorrows are in Luke 2:35 and John 19:26-27. The Lucan passage is Simeon's
prediction about a sword piercing Mary's soul; the Johannine passage relates
Jesus' words to Mary and to the beloved disciple. For more, follow the link
below:

When you meet in one place, then, it is not to eat the Lord's supper, for in
eating, each one goes ahead with his own supper, and one goes hungry while
another gets drunk. Do you not have houses in which you can eat and drink?
Or do you show contempt for the Church of God and make those who have
nothing feel ashamed? What can I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this
matter I do not praise you. ~1 Corinthians 11:17-26, 33

When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved he said to
his mother, "Woman, behold, your son." Then he said to the disciple,
"Behold, your mother." And from that hour the disciple took her into his
home. ~John 19:25-27

We can lament the sorrows and disappointments in our lives.  Then we can
recall Mary, our Lady of Sorrows, and the sorrows she faced, even to the
piercing of her precious heart.  We know that Mary is the Mother of the
Church and our Mother as well.  She understands our sorrows and
disappointments and holds us beneath her mantle. We have in Mary a great
advocate, companion and helper.  We can be grateful for her powerful
intercession.

I pray that when I feel disappointed and sorrowful, that I remember Mary as
Our Lady of Sorrows.  I pray that I may live under her protection, count on
her intercession and be sheltered by her mantle.  I pray that I may be open
to doing God's will as Mary did, without counting the cost.