<MP>Monday, 14 September 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:35:21 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Early in the fourth century St. Helena, mother of the Roman Emperor
Constantine, went to Jerusalem in search of the holy places of Christ's
life. She razed the Temple of Aphrodite, which tradition held was built over
the Savior's tomb, and her son built the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher over
the tomb. During the excavation, workers found three crosses. Legend has it
that the one on which Jesus died was identified when its touch healed a
dying woman. The cross immediately became an object of veneration. At a Good
Friday celebration in Jerusalem toward the end of the fourth century,
according to an eyewitness, the wood was taken out of its silver container
and placed on a table together with the inscription Pilate ordered placed
above Jesus' head: Then "all the people pass through one by one; all of them
bow down, touching the cross and the inscription, first with their
foreheads, then with their eyes; and, after kissing the cross, they move
on."   For more, follow the link below:

So Moses prayed for the people, and the LORD said to Moses, "Make a saraph
and mount it on a pole, and if any who have been bitten look at it, they
will live." Moses accordingly made a bronze serpent and mounted it on a
pole, and whenever anyone who had been bitten by a serpent looked at the
bronze serpent, he lived. ~Numbers 21:4b-9

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who
believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did
not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,
but that the world might be saved through him. ~John 3:13-17

In the Cross of Christ is found our Salvation.  The symbol of the Cross is
strong.  Many wear it as jewelry.  On the Feast of the Exaltation of the
Cross we need to remember that this symbol of torture and execution is a
symbol too of light and life. Jesus conquered sin and death on the cross and
brought us forgiveness and hope in a life that will never end.  We can trust
this!

I pray that I may not only have a deep devotion to the Cross of Christ, but
that I may be willing to pick up my own cross each day and carry it.  I pray
that I may hope in the light and life Christ offers us through his death and
resurrection.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Mary asks prayers for her niece who is in a custody battle with the father
of her child. Sharon requests prayers for her son who is returning from Iraq
to face legal issues that he is not guilty of. Cindy has requested prayers
for noncancerous test results and the strength to accept the results.