<MP>Monday, 11 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:28:40 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   *** At least 18 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

St. Louis of Toulouse (1274-1297)
When he died at the age of 23, Louis was already a Franciscan, a bishop and
a saint!
Louis's parents were Charles II of Naples and Sicily and Mary, daughter of
the King of Hungary. Louis was related to St. Louis IX on his father's side
and to Elizabeth of Hungary on his mother's side. Louis showed early signs
of attachment to prayer and to the corporal works of mercy. As a child he
used to take food from the castle to feed the poor. When he was 14, Louis
and two of his brothers were taken as hostages to the king of Aragon's court
as part of a political deal involving Louis's father. At the court Louis was
tutored by Franciscan friars under whom he made great progress both in his
studies and in the spiritual life. Like St. Francis he developed a special
love for those afflicted with leprosy.  For more, follow the link below:

Like the bow which appears in the clouds on a rainy day was the splendor
that surrounded him. Such was the vision of the likeness of the glory of the
LORD. ~Ezekiel 1:2-5, 24-28c

When they came to Capernaum,
the collectors of the temple tax approached Peter and said,

"Does not your teacher pay the temple tax?" "Yes," he said. When he came
into the house, before he had time to speak,
Jesus asked him, "What is your opinion, Simon? ~Matthew 17:22-27

The temple tax controversy is just an attempt to confound Jesus, to catch
him and get rid of him.  Jesus, as usual, ends up confounding them.  They
need to look for another opportunity to catch him and eliminate him.
Sometimes people spend a great deal of time and energy pointing fingers at
others, judging before understanding, trying to preserve their own position
in society and in the eyes of others. We, as God's people, are called to do
things that are positive, to build up the Kingdom of God in this world, to
make a better world for those around us, and to prepare for the second
coming of Jesus. WE can avoid distraction and spend as much time and energy
as we can working for the things that will last forever.

I pray that I may understand that my position in God's eyes is not judged by
my status in this world.  I pray that I may work for the coming of the
Kingdom of God and work for the things that will last forever.