<MP>Monday, 10 May 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 17:42:19 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

P E N T E C O S T    N O V E N A
Starts on Friday, 14 May!
A novena is made up of nine days of prayers for a special cause.  The Novena
in honor of the Holy Spirit is the most ancient of all Novenas.  It was the
first one ever prayed.  It recalls the period of nine days where Jesus sent
his apostles back to Jerusalem to await the coming of the Holy Spirit at
Pentecost. This wonderful Novena is addressed to the Holy Spirit and can be
a powerful way for us to prepare to receive the light, strength and courage
we need. So, let's pray this wonderful Novena, beginning on the Friday after
Ascension Thursday, this year on the 14th of May, even when, like this year
in the United States, the celebration of Holy Thursday is transferred to the
next Sunday.  Come Holy Spirit, Come!  Follow the banner link from:

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

St. Damien of Molokai (1840-1889)
When Joseph de Veuster was born in Tremelo, Belgium, in 1840, few people in
Europe had any firsthand knowledge of leprosy (Hansen's disease). By the
time he died at the age of 49, people all over the world knew about this
disease because of him. They knew that human compassion could soften the
ravages of this disease. Forced to quit school at age 13 to work on the
family farm, six years later Joseph entered the Congregation of the Sacred
Hearts of Jesus and Mary, taking the name of a fourth-century physician and
martyr. When his brother Pamphile, a priest in the same congregation, fell
ill and was unable to go to the Hawaiian Islands as assigned, Damien quickly
volunteered in his place. In May 1864, two months after arriving in his new
mission, Damien was ordained a priest in Honolulu and assigned to the island
of Hawaii.

After she and her household had been baptized, she offered us an invitation,
"If you consider me a believer in the Lord, come and stay at my home," and
she prevailed on us. ~Acts 16:11-15

Jesus said to his disciples: "When the Advocate comes whom I will send you
from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, he will
testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the
beginning. ~John 15:26-16:4a

As we prepare for the Feast of the Ascension, Jesus again promises the gift
of the Advocate (Holy Spirit).  He will not leave his disciples alone.  We
too receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and may always remember that we are
not alone, the Holy Spirit is there to help us choose right, and then follow
through as we carry out God's will.

I pray that I may remember that I have received the gifts of the Holy
Spirit.  I pray that I may choose right, and count on the fact that God will
provide all I need to carry out this right decision.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

A sister requests prayers for her brother who has been out of work for 6
months. A member asks for prayers for grandson who has a drinking problem
and social problems. A daughter asks prayers for her mother who is in a
nursing home and is in critical decline.