<MP>Monday, 08 September 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:35:05 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8

   Only ELEVEN seats remain, FOUR from La Crosse.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Birth of Mary
The Church has celebrated Mary's birth since at least the sixth century. A
September birth was chosen because the Eastern Church begins its Church year
with September. The September 8 date helped determine the date for the feast
of the Immaculate Conception on December 8 (nine months earlier).
Scripture does not give an account of Mary's birth. However, the apocryphal
Protoevangelium of James fills in the gap. This work has no historical
value, but it does reflect the development of Christian piety. According to
this account, Anna and Joachim are infertile but pray for a child. They
receive the promise of a child that will advance God's plan of salvation for
the world. Such a story (like many biblical counterparts) stresses the
special presence of God in Mary's life from the beginning.  For more, follow
the link below:

(Therefore the Lord will give them up, until the time when she who is to
give birth has borne, And the rest of his brethren shall return to the
children of Israel.) ~Micah 5:1-4a

When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived
together, she was found with child through the Holy Spirit. ~Matthew 1:1-16,
18-23 or 1:18-23

Mary is our mother and our confidence. She is the mother of Jesus who is
God. We are sometimes accused of making Mary a God.  She is not.  She is the
best example of a disciple who always said yes to God.  She is the mother of
the Church and our mother as well. As we celebrate her birth today, we know
that the child to be born will be Jesus Himself, the Son of God, the son of
Mary.  If Jesus is the perfect expression of God's love, Mary is the
foreshadowing of that love.

I pray that I may strive to be a good disciple.  I pray that I may be
inspired by Mary's example and know that she I my mother as well.  I pray
the I may stand up for life, and that I may work for peace around me and in
the world I live in.