<MP>Monday, 08 March 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:08:11 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

F A C E B B O O K
Become a fan of: Fr. Pat's Morning Prayer and Fr. Pat's This Weekend on
Facebook.

L E N T    2 0 1 0
Visit my Lent Page for good links, Reconciliation resources in English and
Spanish, and my own Stations of the Cross in English and Spanish for
children and adults and illustrated by the kids of St. Pat's School.
Follow the link from: www.frpat.com

St. John of God (1495-1550)
Having given up active Christian belief while a soldier, John was 40 before
the depth of his sinfulness began to dawn on him. He decided to give the
rest of his life to God's service, and headed at once for Africa, where he
hoped to free captive Christians and, possibly, be martyred. He was soon
advised that his desire for martyrdom was not spiritually well based, and
returned to Spain and the relatively prosaic activity of a religious goods
store. Yet he was still not settled. Moved initially by a sermon of Blessed
John of Avila, he one day engaged in a public beating of himself, begging
mercy and wildly repenting for his past life.

Athirst is my soul for the living God. When shall I go and behold the face
of God? ~Psalm 42

Jesus said to the people in the synagogue at Nazareth: "Amen, I say to you,
no prophet is accepted in his own native place. ~Luke 4:24-30

"No prophet is accepted in his own native place." Sometimes we seek wisdom
and help, sometimes the way out of our troubles, but are unwilling to trust
the advice of those closest to us. We search for a "foreign" expert,
somebody who lives at least 100 miles away. And, even though the advice of
those closest is true we don't follow it.  Jesus went through the same thing
as he found that those he knew the most and cared the most about would not
listen to Him. We can be smarter!

I pray that I may not discount the advice of family, friends and my spouse.
I pray that I may use true wisdom as it comes to me and not miss out on the
treasure that is offered.