<MP>Monday, 05 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:19:43 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Maria Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938)
St. Mary Faustina's name is forever linked to the annual feast of the Divine
Mercy (celebrated on the Second Sunday of Easter), the divine mercy chaplet
and the divine mercy prayer recited each day by many people at 3 p.m.
Born in what is now west-central Poland (part of Germany before World War
I), Helena was the third of 10 children. She worked as a housekeeper in
three cities before joining the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of
Mercy in 1925. She worked as a cook, gardener and porter in three of their
houses. In addition to carrying out her work faithfully, generously serving
the needs of the sisters and the local people, she also had a deep interior
life. This included receiving revelations from the Lord Jesus, messages that
she recorded in her diary at the request of Christ and of her confessors. At
a time when some Catholics had an image of God as such a strict judge that
they might be tempted to despair about the possibility of being forgiven,
Jesus chose to emphasize his mercy and forgiveness for sins acknowledged and
confessed. "I do not want to punish aching mankind," he once told St. Maria
Faustina, "but I desire to heal it, pressing it to my merciful heart" (Diary
1588). The two rays emanating from Christ's heart, she said, represent the
blood and water poured out after Jesus' death (Gospel of John 19:34)   For
more, follow the link below:

But the LORD sent a large fish, that swallowed Jonah; and Jonah remained in
the belly of the fish three days and three nights. From the belly of the
fish Jonah prayed to the LORD, his God. Then the LORD commanded the fish to
spew Jonah upon the shore. ~Jonah 1:1,2:11

Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers' victim?"
He answered, "The one who treated him with mercy." Jesus said to him, "Go
and do likewise." ~Luke 10:25-37

We can go through contortions in our minds sometimes, trying to figure out
what a good Christian is all about.  And the answer comes to us very simply
in today's Gospel.  The Samaritan, looked down upon by most, is the one who
has compassion on the man who fell in with robbers.  When asked "which was
neighbor to the victim," he had to reply, "The one who treated him with
mercy."  God calls us to be people of mercy as well!

I pray that I may have compassion for those who need help.  I pray that I
may reach out with hands of mercy.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Theresa requests prayers for her personal intentions this month. John asks
prayers as he anticipates kidney surgery this week. Mark ask prayers for his
17 year old daughter, that the lord help her with her drinking problem.

Barbara asks for prayers for her daughter who is experiencing excruciating
hip pain. Frieda asks prayers for a special intention. A member asks for
prayers for a friend who is leading a pilgrimage, that it be a time devoted
completely to true prayers and spiritual growth.