<MP>Friday, 30 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:37:45 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to look
forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize every
day in 2010 ... from $30 to $500 each day.  Prizes total $16,580.  No more
than 3000 calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out, just
follow the banner link from:  www.frpat.com

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez (c. 1533-1617)
Tragedy and challenge beset today's saint early in life, but Alphonsus
Rodriguez found happiness and contentment through simple service and prayer.
Born in Spain in 1533, Alphonsus inherited the family textile business at
23. Within the space of three years, his wife, daughter and mother died;
meanwhile, business was poor. Alphonsus stepped back and reassessed his
life. He sold the business and, with his young son, moved into his sisters'
home. There he learned the discipline of prayer and meditation. Years later,
at the death of his son, Alphonsus, almost 40 by then, sought to join the
Jesuits. He was not helped by his poor education. He applied twice before
being admitted. For 45 years he served as doorkeeper at the Jesuits' college
in Majorca. When not at his post, he was almost always at prayer, though he
often encountered difficulties and temptations.  For more, follow the link
below:

Brothers and sisters: I speak the truth in Christ, I do not lie; my
conscience joins with the Holy Spirit in bearing me witness that I have
great sorrow and constant anguish in my heart. ~Romans 9:1-5

Then he said to them "Who among you, if your son or ox falls into a cistern,
would not immediately pull him out on the Sabbath day?" But they were unable
to answer his question. ~Luke 14:1-6

Legalism. We hate it. On the other hand, we can expect it of others. And if
they don't comply, we can become critical, robbing ourselves of the time and
energy it will take to reform our own lives. We can seek the help we need,
focusing more on ourselves and our shortcomings than on the shortcomings of
others.

I pray that I may lose interest in being critical of others. I pray that I
may devote the needed time and energy to open my own weaknesses to God that
together, we may put them behind.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

A member requests prayers for a dear friend who is interviewing for a much
needed job. Nancy requests prayers that her Mom's recent tests are negative
and that her cancer has not returned. Isabel asks for prayers for her son to
find full-time work.

A member asks prayers for her sister & the sister's family who have special
needs at this time. Renee requests prayers for her coworker, that she
invites Jesus to her life and finds freedom through truth. A member requests
prayers for her son for healing during a difficult time. Judith asks prayers
for a special intention.

Clare asks for prayers for her son who is in the grip of addiction. Tina
asks prayers for her husband and her son, for several special intentions for
them. Bettye requests prayers for her sister who is having surgery Friday,
that it will go well and lead to a speedy recovery.