<MP>Friday, 29 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:29:07 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Only ELEVEN seats remain, FOUR from La Crosse.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Martyrdom of John the Baptist
The drunken oath of a king with a shallow sense of honor, a seductive dance
and the hateful heart of a queen combined to bring about the martyrdom of
John the Baptist. The greatest of prophets suffered the fate of so many Old
Testament prophets before him: rejection and martyrdom. The "voice crying in
the desert" did not hesitate to accuse the guilty, did not hesitate to speak
the truth. But why? What possesses a man that he would give up his very
life?  For more, follow the link below:

For Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we proclaim Christ
crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and  foolishness to Gentiles, but to
those who are called, Jews and Greeks alike, Christ the power of God and the
wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and
the weakness of God is stronger than human strength. ~1 Corinthians 1:17-25

The king was deeply distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests he
did not wish to break his word to her. So he promptly dispatched an
executioner with orders to bring back his head. ~Mark 6:17-29

What will we do in order to save face?  Herod, in a moment of weakness, made
a promise.  When John the Baptist's head was requested, he was unwilling to
lose face, so he had John beheaded. A little child was used by adults for
selfish purposes. What would a little girl want with the head  of someone?
When do we bend our own values and do wrong in order to look what we
consider to be "good" in the eyes of others?

I pray that I may hold onto my values.  I pray that I may not do wrong in
order to save face.  I pray that my example is a worthy one for others to
follow.