<MP>Friday, 28 August 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:04:47 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Augustine (354-430)
A Christian at 33, a priest at 36, a bishop at 41: many people are familiar
with the biographical sketch of Augustine of Hippo, sinner turned saint. But
really to get to know the man is a rewarding experience. There quickly
surfaces the intensity with which he lived his life, whether his path led
away from or toward God. The tears of his mother, the instructions of
Ambrose and, most of all, God himself speaking to him in the Scriptures
redirected Augustine's love of life to a life of love. Having been so deeply
immersed in creature-pride of life in his early days and having drunk deeply
of its bitter dregs, it is not surprising that Augustine should have turned,
with a holy fierceness, against the many demon-thrusts rampant in his day.
His times were truly decadent-politically, socially, morally. He was both
feared and loved, like the Master. The perennial criticism leveled against
him: a fundamental rigorism.  For more, follow the link below:

For God did not call us to impurity but to holiness. Therefore, whoever
disregards this, disregards not a human being but God, who also gives his
Holy Spirit to you. ~1 Thessalonians 4:1-8

At midnight, there was a cry, 'Behold, the bridegroom!  Come out to meet
him!' Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish
ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going
out.' ~Matthew 25:1-13

Be ready!  As school begins, many kids and adults are getting ready.  The
secret though, is staying ready ... doing the day-by-day work that keeps us
caught up.  We don't want to be like the foolish virgins whose lamps went
out.  May God help us remember to always be prepared.

I pray that I may get ready and stay that way.  I pray that I may put
procrastination behind me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

John and wife are asking prayers for their marriage going through difficult
times. Debbie requests prayers for her daughter who is overwhelmed with
financial difficulties. Mary requests prayers for two people who are very
sick, that the doctors will be able to find out how to heal them.

Linda requests prayers for her daughter, who will enter the Dominican
Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Arbor, MI on Friday, that
she will continue to keep her heart open to God's call. Mark and Jen asks
for prayer for their marriage which is on the verge of separation, that God
restores this relationship. Jerry ask prayers for the eternal repose of his
beloved boy who passed away last Wednesday.