<MP>Friday, 25 July 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:13:39 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   EARLY SIGN-UP DEADLINE IS AUGUST 2nd!
   SIGN UP & PAY DEPOSIT BY THEN AND SAVE $100!

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** At least 14 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

St. James the Greater
This James is the brother of John the Evangelist. The two were called by
Jesus as they worked with their father in a fishing boat on the Sea of
Galilee. Jesus had already called another pair of brothers from a similar
occupation: Peter and Andrew. "He walked along a little farther and saw
James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat
mending their nets. Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee
in the boat along with the hired men and followed him" (Mark 1:19-20). James
was one of the favored three who had the privilege of witnessing the
Transfiguration, the raising to life of the daughter of Jairus and the agony
in Gethsemani.  For more, follow the link below:

Brothers and sisters: We hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the
surpassing power may be of God and not from us. ~2 Corinthians 4:7-15

But Jesus summoned them and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles
lord it over them, and the great ones make their authority over them felt.
But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among
you shall be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you shall be
your slave. Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served
but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."  ~Matthew 20:20-28

The mother of the sons of Zebedee asked Jesus to make sure that in the
Kingdom, her sons would sit on His right and left. Jesus reminds her and her
sons that the greatest must be the servant.  They cannot be like those who
make their authority felt, but must live as those who serve others ...
acknowledging that the goodness in them comes from God, not from themselves.
We are called to live lives of service to others out of gratitude for all we
have received from God.

I pray that I may not seek reward or privilege or make my authority felt
over others.  I pray that I may simply and kindly serve the needs of those
around me just as Jesus expected His disciples to live.