<MP>Friday, 22 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:57:44 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Rita of Cascia (1381-1457)
Like Elizabeth Ann Seton, Rita of Cascia was a wife, mother, widow and
member of a religious community. Her holiness was reflected in each phase of
her life. Born at Roccaporena in central Italy, Rita wanted to become a nun
but was pressured at a young age into marrying a harsh and cruel man. During
her 18-year marriage, she bore and raised two sons. After her husband was
killed in a brawl and her sons had died, Rita tried to join the Augustinian
nuns in Cascia. Unsuccessful at first because she was a widow, Rita
eventually succeeded. Over the years, her austerity, prayerfulness and
charity became legendary. When she developed wounds on her forehead, people
quickly associated them with the wounds from Christ's crown of thorns. She
meditated frequently on Christ's passion. Her care for the sick nuns was
especially loving. She also counseled lay people who came to her monastery.
For more, follow the link below:

One night while Paul was in Corinth, the Lord said to him in a vision, "Do
not be afraid. Go on speaking, and do not be silent, for I am with you. No
one will attack and harm you, for I have many people in this city." He
settled there for a year and a half and taught the word of God among them.
~Acts 18:9-18

When a woman is in labor, she is in anguish because her hour has arrived;
but when she has given birth to a child, she no longer remembers the pain
because of her joy that a child has been born into the world. So you also
are now in anguish.
But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take
your joy away from you. On that day you will not question me about anything.
~John 16:20-33

The Lord says, "Do not be afraid."  He reminds us too, that the emptiness
felt when Jesus returned from the Father would turn to rejoicing when we see
Him again ... and that no one will take our joy from us.

I pray that I may never being afraid, knowing the Lord's presence with me
always.  I pray for patience as I strive to understand things that will only
be revealed to me in the fullness of God's kingdom.