<MP>Friday, 22 August 2008Q

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:56:08 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

S U R G E R Y    T O D A Y
I'll be at Mayo Clinic today (Friday) for a Vertebroplasty, a pain-relieving
procedure for fractures of spinal bones. Bone cement is injected into the
affected vertebrae.  The intent is to stabilize the bone and relieve pain.
Two vertebrae, L-1 and L-6 have collapsed and the hope is that the procedure
can relieve pain and discomfort. I'll be sedated but awake during the
procedure and will return to Onalaska the same day.  So ... keep me in your
prayers ... and know you are always in mine!

   Only ELEVEN seats remain, FOUR from La Crosse.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Queenship of Mary
Pius XII established this feast in 1954. But Mary's queenship has roots in
Scripture. At the Annunciation Gabriel announced that Mary's Son would
receive the throne of David and rule forever. At the Visitation, Elizabeth
calls Mary "mother of my Lord." As in all the mysteries of Mary's life, Mary
is closely associated with Jesus: Her queenship is a share in Jesus'
kingship. We can also recall that in the Old Testament the mother of the
king has great influence in court.  For more, follow the link below:

O my people! I will put my spirit in you that you may live, and I will
settle you upon your land; thus you shall know that I am the LORD. I have
promised, and I will do it, says the LORD. ~Ezekiel 37:1-14

"You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul,
and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The
second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law
and the prophets depend on these two commandments."  ~Matthew 22:34-40

Mary's queenship is a share in Jesus' kingship. In the fourth century Saint
Ephrem called Mary "Lady" and "Queen" and Church Fathers and Doctors
continued to use the title.  Hymns and prayers addressed Mary as Queen.  We
know that she is our model of discipleship.  She is the mother of the Church
and our mother as well.  To be good disciples we can follow the counsel of
Jesus in today's Gospel, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your
heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and
the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor
as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two
commandments." We can strive to do just that.

I pray that I may follow Mary's humility and discipleship.  I pray that I
may love God above all things and my neighbor as myself.  I pray that I may
always remember that Mary is the mother of the Church, and my mother too!