<MP>Friday, 21 September 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:39:24 -0500

F A M I L Y    F U N    F E S T

St. Pat's annual Fall Fun Fest is October 13th. There will be food,
entertainment and fun for people of all ages.  There are also Raffle Tickets
available.  If you live close to us, why not join us.  Or, perhaps you'd
like to help us by purchasing some raffle tickets.  You can learn more at:
www.stpatz.com

F A M I L Y    A N D   F R I E N D S
Encourage them to Subscribe to Morning Prayer!

If you enjoy Morning Prayer, why not forward a copy to family members and
friends. Many seem to enjoy the new format.  Some say that they like to
attend Daily Mass, but cannot always do so.  Morning Prayer keeps them in
touch with the daily Scriptures and Saint of the day. Not all priests preach
on all weekdays. Morning Prayer provides a short reflection and a concrete
way to apply Scriptures to our lives. Clergy too, appreciate the simple
ideas found in both Morning Prayer and This Weekend.  Family members and
friends can learn more by following the banner link from:  www.frpat.com

     From Father Pat Umberger

As Jesus passed by, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post.
He said to him, "Follow me." And he got up and followed him. ~Matthew 9:9-13

"Their message goes out through all the earth." ~Response, Psalm 19

Feast of Saint Matthew

This "tax collector" was not particularly popular with the people, since he
collected taxes from fellow Jews and gave the money to the Romans. They were
under suspicion since many collected more than they should and kept the
rest. When Jesus was criticized for associating with such folk He said,
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn
the meaning of the words, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' I did not come to
call the righteous but sinners."

How easy it is for us to develop prejudices.  We pre-judge based on what we
have heard from others.  Jesus seems to come at the situation from a
different angle. He is not put off by the criticism of others, or even
because the people he called were sinners.  How fortunate it is that he
continues to seek us out.  "Those who are well do not need a physician, but
the sick do." As Jesus accepted and called Matthew he accepts and calls us
as well.

I pray that I may not pre-judge others or even consider myself unworthy
because of my sinfulness.  I pray that I learn the meaning of the words "I