<MP>Friday, 18 September 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:10:09 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Joseph of Cupertino (1603-1663)
Joseph is most famous for levitating at prayer. Already as a child, Joseph
showed a fondness for prayer. After a short career with the Capuchins, he
joined the Conventuals. Following a brief assignment caring for the friary
mule, Joseph began his studies for the priesthood. Though studies were very
difficult for him, Joseph gained a great deal of knowledge from prayer. He
was ordained in 1628. Joseph's tendency to levitate during prayer was
sometimes a cross; some people came to see this much as they might have gone
to a circus sideshow. Joseph's gift led him to be humble, patient and
obedient, even though at times he was greatly tempted and felt forsaken by
God. He fasted and wore iron chains for much of his life.  For more, follow
the link below:

Instead, pursue righteousness, devotion, faith, love, patience, and
gentleness. Compete well for the faith. Lay hold of eternal life, to which
you were called when you made the noble confession in the presence of many
witnesses. ~1 Timothy 6:2c-12

Accompanying him were the Twelve and some women who had been cured of evil
spirits and infirmities, Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had
gone out, Joanna, the wife of Herod's steward Chuza, Susanna, and many
others
who provided for them out of their resources.  ~Luke 8:1-3

Many followed Jesus, including quite a few holy women.  They supported Him
in his ministry and strove to follow in His footsteps. We're called to be
worthy folk, to strive to do the same.  We can pursue "Righteousness,
devotion, faith, love, patience and gentleness."  We can continue to
proclaim His Kingdom in our situation, in our day and age.

I pray that I may join the ranks of the many who strive to follow Jesus.  I
pray that my life may help others do the same, and proclaim His Kingdom here
and now.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Leila is asking for prayers that broken relationships in her family my be
mended. Connie requests prayers for her sister who has severe nerve damage
in her neck, that her doctors make the right decisions for her treatment.
Neil requests prayers for his daughter who is leaving on a 1500 mile trip in
an old car of questionable reliability.

Pray for someone who has an undiagnosed illness. Alvina asks our prayers as
she deals with lumps in both her breasts.  Please pray for a 14-year-old
parishioner who underwent her last radiation today for a brain tumor.
Please pray for a 17-year-old girl who was killed last night in a fall from
a bluff in La Crosse, for her family and her many young friends ... and for
all who will gather here at Saint Pat's for her Funeral on Tuesday.