<MP>Friday, 17 October 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:19:53 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Ignatius of Antioch (d. 107?)
Born in Syria, Ignatius converted to Christianity and eventually became
bishop of Antioch. In the year 107, Emperor Trajan visited Antioch and
forced the Christians there to choose between death and apostasy. Ignatius
would not deny Christ and thus was condemned to be put to death in Rome.
For more, follow the link below:

In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your
salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy
Spirit, which is the first installment of our inheritance toward redemption
as God's possession, to the praise of his glory. ~Ephesians 1:11-14

Are not five sparrows sold for two small coins? Yet not one of them has
escaped the notice of God. Even the hairs of your head have all been
counted. Do not be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows." ~Luke
12:1-7

Today's Scriptures remind us of our worth.  We have received the Holy
Spirit, the first installment of our inheritance toward redemption.  Even
the hairs of our head have been counted.  "Do not be afraid.  You are worth
more than many sparrows."  When we reflect on our blessedness, we can draw
near to God and ""Beware of the leaven-that is, the hypocrisy-of the
Pharisees."

I pray that I may avoid following the example of the Pharisees of my day.  I
pray that I may know my blessedness in God's eyes and always draw near to
Him.  I pray that I may use the gifts of the Holy Spirit to build up God's
Kingdom here on earth, as we anticipate together the coming of the fullness
of the Kingdom when Christ comes again in His glory.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Karl asks prayers for his 20-year-old cousin who is battling cancer, and for
his family. Neil requests prayers for two neighbors who have cancer. Connie
requests prayers of thanksgiving for her new niece who was born healthy.

Tom and Dee ask prayers for their friends who are going on a mission to
Belize this month. Mary Ruth asks prayers for her mother who has developed
wet macular degeneration. Joel asks prayers as he is about to lose his home
and will need to move into subsidized housing.