<MP>Friday, 15 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:16:09 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   *** At least 18 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already
been taken.
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Assumption of Mary
On November 1, 1950, Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary to be a dogma
of faith: "We pronounce, declare and define it to be a divinely revealed
dogma that the immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having
completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul to
heavenly glory." The pope proclaimed this dogma only after a broad
consultation of bishops, theologians and laity. There were few dissenting
voices. What the pope solemnly declared was already a common belief in the
Catholic Church.  For more, follow the link below:

A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the
moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. ~Revelation
11:19a; 12:1-6a, 10ab

Brothers and sisters: Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits
of those who have fallen asleep. ~1 Corinthians 15:20-27

And Mary said:
"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my
Savior for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. From this day all
generations will call me blessed: the Almighty has done great things for me
and holy is his Name. ~Luke 1:39-56

Humility is glorified.  Jesus tells us that the greatest is the one who
serves the rest. Mary is the one who is always humble before God and those
around her. She does God's will without question. From early centuries it
has been believed that Mary was taken into heaven, body and soul. We can
imitate Mary in our own lives, doing God's will without question.  We can
echo Mary's magnificat as well, "My soul proclaims the greatness of the
Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."

I pray that I may be humble before God and those around me as a natural
stance, not because of what I might receive.  I pray that I may glorify God
by my actions.  I pray that I may always remember that Mary is my mother and
my confidence.