<MP>Friday, 12 September 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:32:01 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

   Only ELEVEN seats remain, FOUR from La Crosse.
   10-22 November 2008

   Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,
   Sorrento, Capri, the Blue Grotto, amalfi, Pompeii,
   Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San Giovanni Rotondo,
   the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

   Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
   Use the brochure ... on-line now at www.frpat.com

Holy Name of Mary
This feast is a counterpart to the Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus (January
3); both have the possibility of uniting people easily divided on other
matters. The feast of the Most Holy Name of Mary began in Spain in 1513 and
in 1671 was extended to all of Spain and the Kingdom of Naples. In 1683,
John Sobieski, king of Poland, brought an army to the outskirts of Vienna to
stop the advance of Muslim armies loyal to Mohammed IV in Constantinople.
After Sobieski entrusted himself to the Blessed Virgin Mary, he and his
soldiers thoroughly defeated the Muslims. Pope Innocent XI extended this
feast to the entire Church.   For more, follow the link below:

Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I
drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others,
I myself should be disqualified. ~1 Corinthians 9:16-19, 22b-27

How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove that splinter in
your eye,' when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye? You
hypocrite! Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see
clearly to remove the splinter in your brother's eye." ~Luke 6:39-42

Go calls us to train hard and put all our energy into following His call. In
order to do so we need to get rid of anything that saps our time and energy.
When we become preoccupied with others and their weaknesses, when we gossip
and are critical, then we waste time and energy. We can follow God's call
and work on what we can change, mostly ourselves.  Then we can be a
wonderful example for those around us.

I pray that I may work with all my being to follow God's call and be a good
example to others.  I pray that I may not be preoccupied with the weaknesses
of others, but work on my own weaknesses that I can provide that worthy
example.