<MP>Friday, 06 November 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:50:18 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Nicholas Tavelic and Companions (d. 1391)
Nicholas and his three companions are among the 158 Franciscans who have
been martyred in the Holy Land since the friars became custodians of the
shrines in 1335. Nicholas was born in 1340 to a wealthy and noble family in
Croatia. He joined the Franciscans and was sent with Deodat of Rodez to
preach in Bosnia. In 1384 they volunteered for the Holy Land missions and
were sent there. They looked after the holy places, cared for the Christian
pilgrims and studied Arabic. In 1391 Nicholas, Deodat, Peter of Narbonne and
Stephen of Cuneo decided to take a direct approach to converting the
Muslims. On November 11, 1391, they went to the huge Mosque of Omar in
Jerusalem and asked to see the Qadi (Muslim official). Reading from a
prepared statement, they said that all people must accept the gospel of
Jesus. When they were ordered to retract their statement, they refused.
After beatings and imprisonment, they were beheaded before a large crowd.
For more, follow the link below:

Thus I aspire to proclaim the Gospel not where Christ has already been
named, so that I do not build on another's foundation, but as it is written:
Those who have never been told of him shall see, and those who have never
heard of him shall understand. ~Romans 15:14-21

He said to him, 'Here is your promissory note; write one for eighty.' And
the master commended that dishonest steward for acting prudently. For the
children of this world are more prudent in dealing with their own generation
than the children of light."  ~Luke 16:1-8

We can be good at using out gifts and talents in order to get what we want.
Our charge as Christians though, is to use them for what God wants.  It is
up to us too, to reveal the Lord to those around us that "those who have
never heard of Him shall understand."

I pray that I may use my gifts and talents in order to do God's work and
God's will.  I pray that others may come to understand the Lord more fully
because of the way I live my faith.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Josie asks prayers for her friend's 12-year-old son who is clinging to life.
Joan asks prayers as she anticipates surgery on Monday. Ray asks prayers for
his friend who will be operated on Friday that he will heal successfully.

Tim and Linda ask prayers of thanksgiving after receiving a favorable MRI
report on their daughter's brain tumor. Please pray for Andrew as he begins
work as our new Youth Minister next week!