<MP>Friday, 05 February 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:17:40 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
18-28 October 2010 - Map of trip is now at the Web Site
BROCHURE & SIGN-UP SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE!
now been reserved from La Crosse, WI and O'Hare Aiport in Chicago. It
will be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. If
you're interested visit my Web Site and sign up for informational e-mails.

St. Agatha (d. 251?)
As in the case of Agnes, another virgin-martyr of the early Church, almost
nothing is historically certain about this saint except that she was
martyred in Sicily during the persecution of Emperor Decius in 251.
Legend has it that Agatha, like Agnes, was arrested as a Christian,
tortured and sent to a house of prostitution to be mistreated. She was
preserved from being violated, and was later put to death. She is claimed
as the patroness of both Palermo and Catania. The year after her death,
the stilling of an eruption of Mt. Etna was attributed to her
intercession. As a result, apparently, people continued to ask her prayers
for protection against fire.

God my salvation! ~Psalm 18

The king said to the girl, ?Ask of me whatever you wish and I will grant
it to you.?  He even swore many things to her, ?I will grant you whatever
you ask of me,even to half of my kingdom.? She went out and said to her
mother, ?What shall I ask for?? Her mother replied, ?The head of John the
Baptist.? The girl hurried back to the king?s presence and made her
request, ?I want you to give me at once on a platter the head of John the
Baptist.? ~Mark 6:14-29

What will we do to save face?  King Herod was willing to murder John the
Baptist because of a (probably) drunken promise he made to a child. Many
were scandalized, but Faith continued to grow.  The Church is built on the
blood of the martyrs.

I pray that I may seek the things that last forever.  I pray that I may
not violate my consicence and lead others astray because I want to save
face.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

We pray for the people of Haiti. We pray for great respect for life from
natural conception to natural death.  We pray for an end of terrorism and
war, for the safety of our troops and their families at home.