<MP>Friday, 04 July 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:14:35 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8
   10-22 November 2008

   Now departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York
(JFK)
   *** 14 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
   Use the NEW BROCHURE ... on-line now at www.frpat.com
   The new brochure has a picture of Fr. Pat and Sister Joselda on the
cover.

St. Elizabeth of Portugal (1271-1336)
Elizabeth is usually depicted in royal garb with a dove or an olive branch.
At her birth in 1271, her father, Pedro III, future king of Aragon, was
reconciled with his father, James, the reigning monarch. This proved to be a
portent of things to come. Under the healthful influences surrounding her
early years, she quickly learned self-discipline and acquired a taste for
spirituality. Thus fortunately prepared, she was able to meet the challenge
when, at the age of 12, she was given in marriage to Denis, king of
Portugal. She was able to establish for herself a pattern of life conducive
to growth in God's love, not merely through her exercises of piety,
including daily Mass, but also through her exercise of charity, by which she
was able to befriend and help pilgrims, strangers, the sick, the poor-in a
word, all those whose need came to her notice. At the same time she remained
devoted to her husband, whose infidelity to her was a scandal to the
kingdom.  For more, follow the link below:

Hear this, you who trample upon the needy and destroy the poor of the land!
"When will the new moon be over," you ask,
"that we may sell our grain, and the Sabbath, that we may display the
wheat?" We will diminish the containers for measuring, add to the weights,
and fix our scales for cheating! ~Amos 8:4-6, 9-12

The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat
with tax collectors and sinners?" He heard this and said, "Those who are
well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of
the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but
sinners."  ~Matthew 9:9-13

God wants us to be free.  Freedom is ours when we work for things that last
forever, and not enslave ourselves to lying, cheating and stealing to
increase our bottom line here and now. Jesus Himself knew that He would have
to spend time with tax collectors and sinners in order to show them true
freedom, and in order to usher in God's Kingdom.

God's Kingdom is one of love and peace.  Greed and self-interest take a back
seat as we work for things that last.  I pray that I may be a person who
lives in true freedom ... of greed and self interest, that I may cooperate
in Jesus' work of bringing about the fullness of God's Kingdom.