[moneytalks] Re: Problem with Recurring Transactions

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:03:27 -0500

Margaret:

I guess I don't fully understand your request. Recurring transactions
always post cleared, so you always give final approval. You can move to
the next uncleared transaction by pressing Ctrl+F10.

Rob Meredith

>>> iluvtoread@xxxxxxx 02/09/07 01:49PM >>>
Steve,

    Thank you.  I found out about the post recurring transaction
command after I sent my post and that it would have perfectly solved
my problem about how to handle a bill I wanted to pay before the item
appeared in the register.  I'm all set for now.

    I still think it would be a good idea if there could be some way
of differentiating a transaction for which payment arrangement have
been made such as online bill pay, but for which the item has not
cleared as opposed to those which are in the register as reminders of
items which have not yet been paid .  Maybe Rob or someone from APH
responded and my ISP didn't deliver the message or the idea is being
evaluated.

    Thanks again for the good instructions.

Margaret

"Steve Zielinski" wrote:

Margaret,

When you set up a recurring transaction, all recurrences occur in the
future, you cannot do it for a transaction in the past unless you
choose a
starting date in the past.  For instance, if I set up a recurring
auto-payment of a utility bill for the 9th of March, and every ninth
afterthat, I first create a regular transaction on the ninth of
February.
After it is established, I highlight the transaction in my register,
go to
the Transaction menu, then choose the Recurring option and hit enter.
You
probably know the hot key for this is ctrl+r.  If I wanted a January
9th
transaction, I would have found a December 9th transaction to be the
starting point in this example.

Now after choosing a transaction on February 9, and selecting
recurring, fil
out the information for monthly recurrences.  The first recurrence
will then
happen, on March 9, assuming you chose monthly as the frequency and
chose
"always post"
amongst the Weekend Action radio buttons.  Note also that while
setting up
your recurring transaction, you have the choice of how many days in
advance
you want money talks to post the recurring transaction.  For instance,

in
this example, if I had said 14 days in this dialog, then money talks
will
post the transaction on February 23, 14 days ahead of March 9.  The
transaction would be dated, March 9, but it will appear in the
register on
February 23.  If I has said zero, then money talks would have posted
the
transaction on March 9, giving me no advanced notice.  You will now
see the
letter R in the status column of this transaction.

Now save your register in order to save the setting up of the
recurring
transaction.  Then open the register again, in order to test your
handywork.

To test a recurring transaction, find the recurring transaction you
are
interested in -- the one with the letter R in the status column.
Choose
"Post Next Recurrence" under the Transaction menu, or simply press
alt+t,
then the letter p.  That particular transaction will then recur once,
and
you can examine it.  You will hear the Projectd recurring transaction
sound.
Notice the letter R has now been moved from the transaction you were
highlighting and has been moved to the recurring transaction the
program
generated.  If you want to post the next recurring transaction after
that,
then make sure to highlight the one with the letter r and do the
procedure
again.

After testing these transactions, make sure to not save the register
so as
to not permanently keep these tested future recurring transactions.

If you find you need to make adjustments, re-open the register, and
find the
recurring transaction which is a problem.  Do another ctrl+r on it and
re-adjust your frequency, etc.  Save the register, then re-open the
register, to test again with the "post next occurance" command.

If you have a number of recurring transactions you want to test at
once, use
the "Project Recurring" command under the Transaction menu.  The quick

key
combination to get to this is alt+t, then J.  You will be put in a
dialog
box asking for the date to which you want your transactions to
project.
Again the sound will occur, but this time, all your transactions which

are
recurring will be posted up to and including the date you provided,
and they
will also be shown in a restricted view.  If you want to examine them
in
relationship to all other transactions in your register, press escape
open the view up.  Again, you probably won't want to save this
register in
order to not make these changes permanent.

Perhaps this is of some help.

Steve