[modular-debian] Re: vdev update and design document

  • From: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 05:32:12 -0500

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 03:58:47 -0500
Jude Nelson <judecn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I just thought I'd post an update on vdev, since I'd mentioned
> earlier that I was shooting for packages by now.  It will take a
> couple more days, but I'm pleased to say that the pre-alpha vdev can
> do the following:
>
> * populate itself with all block and char devices known to sysfs
> * hide or change the permissions on devices based on which process is
> asking
> * run shell scripts as a result of devices appearing or getting
> removed
> * create device nodes with user-defined paths
>
> I've added automatic build and packaging scripts to vdev and its
> dependencies (fskit and libpstat) if you're brave enough to play
> around with it :)  Don't try using it for early boot, though--that's
> not yet tested.
>
> I've also written a design document here, with a development roadmap:
> http://judecnelson.blogspot.com/2015/01/introducing-vdev.html
>
> Happy Gregorian New Year!
> -Jude

Thanks Jude!

I didn't understand a word you said up above, but I know I'd love a
replacement for udev. Here's the udev_start.sh I use now to start
udev on Manjaro and Centos, initting via Epoch:

==================================
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/udevd --daemon
/usr/bin/udevadm trigger --action=add --type=subsystems
/usr/bin/udevadm trigger --action=add --type=devices
/usr/bin/udevadm settle

If you have anything resembling drop-in replacements for udevd and
udevadm, I'll rewrite the script and give it a try.

And thanks very much for doing all of this!

SteveT