[modular-debian] vdev update and design document

  • From: Jude Nelson <judecn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 03:58:47 -0500

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd post an update on vdev, since I'd mentioned earlier that
I was shooting for packages by now.  It will take a couple more days, but
I'm pleased to say that the pre-alpha vdev can do the following:

* populate itself with all block and char devices known to sysfs
* hide or change the permissions on devices based on which process is asking
* run shell scripts as a result of devices appearing or getting removed
* create device nodes with user-defined paths

I've added automatic build and packaging scripts to vdev and its
dependencies (fskit and libpstat) if you're brave enough to play around
with it :)  Don't try using it for early boot, though--that's not yet
tested.

I've also written a design document here, with a development roadmap:
http://judecnelson.blogspot.com/2015/01/introducing-vdev.html

Happy Gregorian New Year!
-Jude